Sunday, May 11, 2014

Wildflowers and Spring Bulbs on Mother's Day

The combination of rain and some warm weather has started the flowers.  Usually we have all these flowers for our spring opener the first weekend in May, but they are a bit later this year.  

Most years the trillium are blooming for Mother's Day, but this year they are just starting to bud.

As I walked to the mobile high tunnel through the woods, I saw first some small lavender flowers that are bell shaped on cloudy days and open like daisies when it is sunny.

In the low wet areas the cowslips or marsh marigolds are just starting to bloom

And the ferns are starting to open

In the yard are spring bulbs I have planted.  The scilla or Siberian squill have naturalized and expanded over the years

There are many varieties of daffodils and narcissus tucked here and there.

The ones that are in sunny areas or near rocks that warm in the sun bloom first

I used to send my mother daffodil bulbs.  We both like them, and they are hardy; animals don't eat them.  When I see them I think of my mother.

I always pick a few as Ken also enjoys them.


I can't think of a more fitting way to celebrate - Happy Mother's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment