Thursday, May 29, 2014

Spring greens continued - Bok choy, Sorrel and Radicchio

This week we have some new greens, and people have thanked me for blog posts with photos and recipes, so here goes!  First we have radicchio, an Italian green.  most people know the Verona type that looks like a red cabbage with white ribs, but we grow a Treviso type.  It is a spicy green, and like arugula it is great with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, goat cheese and toasted nuts.  It mellows with cooking.  I often toss pungent greens with hot pasta to tone them down.  Radicchio is great grilled.  Martha Stewart tops grilled radicchio with balsamic vinegar and shaved hard cheese.

Sorrel also known as French Sorrel is a lemony herb, more robust lemony flavor than the mellower lemon balm.  I rinse, chop and place in a skillet of olive oil and melted butter  to seal the flavor.  I then add it to fish, vegetables or wherever I would like some lemon flavor with the bonus of green color ( and a local source for the flavor).  Sorrel is often added to egg dishes and cream soups and to stir fry just before serving in place of lemon grass ( a tropical plant).

Bok choy is an Asian green that is flexible!  I most often combine it in a saute with onions and red radishes, carrot cut in matchsticks, or salad turnips.  I cut the ribs from the leaves and cook the ribs a minute or two and add the greens just before serving. 
My favorite is to add just a bit of umeboshi vinegar, a salty, sweet and sour condiment.  I also like making a combination of sesame oil, a dash of toasted sesame oil, some sweet wine like Mirin or sherry and some tamari or good soy sauce and top with toasted sesame seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment