Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Harvest Newsletter

Greetings from the Garden!  This CSA box has spinach, salad and braising greens, leeks, potatoes, pie pumpkins, salad turnips, carrots, tomatoes, beets, and garlic


Field Notes. Ken has been dividing his time between farm maintenance like roof repair and digging fall root crops.  

And I have been sorting and filling the root cellar.

More crops on right!
Ken has postponed some of his harvest as some fall crops like cabbage are continuing to grow - and that is good because they are smaller this season due to weather.  

From the Kitchen.  We have been eating venison and vegetables.  I scrubbed, sliced and steamed some parsnips and then drained.  I like to saute in butter just to the point when they start to caramelize - like candy!

And I took some squash that had some blemishes and scrubbed, scooped out seeds and placed in a covered casserole and baked.  We ate some that day and I have heated a potion in a skillet with the cooking water and a dab of butter as another side dish.  I cleaned up some salad turnips and braised the greens and steamed the sliced roots.  Colorful and delicious


I have been culling apples and making either stewed apples in the morning with cinnamon and cardamon or apple crisp for dessert.
'Til Next Week, Judith


No comments:

Post a Comment