Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Greens - Mizuna, Claytonia, Tatsoi

People requested greens identification - Here is Mizuna.  It is a mild Asian member of the cabbage often found in salad mixes.  We usually grow mizuna 3/4 to full size.  It is great in salad or in a mix of braised greens, added to soup just before serving.  Beautiful, nutritious, and tasty.


Here is claytonia.  It thrives in cool temperatures.  It is called that lilypad green by many of our CSA members.  It is mild and a lovely addition to salads for its juicy crispness.  People also like it braised as well.


Tatsoi, like mizuna is an Asian member of the cabbage family that is often found in salad mix.  Its bright green leaves and white stems are a beautiful addition to any salad.  It also braises beautifully.



Lambs quarters is often considered a weed.  It grows only in rich soil and is very nutritious.  It is mild.  I toss leaves in salads or braise the whole plant chopped  



Spinach is great in salads and braised and in soups.  I like spinach in egg dishes - omelettes, quiche and so on.

1 comment:

  1. I used to be suggested this web site through my cousin.

    I'm no longer positive whether this submit is written by means of him as no one else understand such special about my difficulty. You're incredible!
    Thanks!

    Take a look at my homepage :: blog

    ReplyDelete