Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Recipe for Red Turnips

We grew a new type of turnip this season.  I experimented today at lunch, and Ken suggested I post the recipe (must have been OK).
I rinsed turnips and separated the root from greens.  I sliced the roots, salted and set aside.  I cut the stems from the greens and cut them in fine ribbons.  I sauteed the lower white portion of a couple green onions, added the greens and a tablespoon of stock to steam and wilt.  Once the liquid was reduced ( a minute or two), I turned off the heat and added a bit of balsamic vinegar and cream.

I set the greens on a plate.  After rinsing the salt off the roots I placed them on top of the greens.  The rest of the meal was asparagus seared in oil, topped with toasted sesame oil, tamari, and toasted sesame seeds.  There was rice, and I made some pork and beans - browned ground pork with chopped onion, cooked beans, turmeric, cumin, Ken's pepper sauce, some chili powder, topped with parsley and the green onion tops.  Bon apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment