So, rather than patch the patch, I got a piece of canvas from Ken and seamed up a new apron.
Today I had the chance to tie the warp to the new apron. Here is a photo of the sectional warp beam - where the warp unwinds.
Here is the new apron with warp on it
And here is the start of weaving - a bit of old t - shirt to spread and even out the warp.
The loom upstairs is not warped.
But before I warp up that loom I want to repair that apron on the cloth beam as well. Years ago I tried using grommets in the apron on the cloth beam, but they ripped badly. I will do what I did downstairs - a few seams to form a casing for a rod so the tension is more evenly distributed. I saw this on a loom at a class a couple years ago. My old looms were not set up that way when I got them, but it seems like a very good system!
Next photos will be of rugs in progress!