Sunday, April 1, 2012

Spring flowers

Spring is early - that is not news, but when I compare when flowers usually bloom, it seems like an April Fool's Day trick.  The Nanking Cherries are blooming.  And with this early bloom, I can't help but wonder whether they will be nipped by frost!  






Nanking cherries are a bush cherry that have small fruit with large pits.  Most years I beat the birds and get enough to put in the steam juicer for juice.








And the snow crocuses have opened this week.











I have planted these every place I have lived over a year and even in neighbor's lawns.  They pop up early and can be mown.  Magic!












The scilla or Siberian squill, an early blue beauty have begun to open.  These naturalize and look great spread though the borders of grass and woods.














Such small flowers, but what impact!

No comments:

Post a Comment