Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Greens - Sorrel, cabbage, claytonia, kohlrabi, mustards

I had a request to post photos of various greens and identify them.  So, here they are!

Sorrel


Sorrel is a lemony herb I especially like in cream soups and egg dishes.  Some people add small amounts to salads for zip.  I like to wilt in butter and add to fish or cooked vegetables.

Osaka red mustard
Green mustard






Mustard comes in many shapes, sizes and degrees of heat.  Cool weather mustard has less strength than hot weather mustard.  










We like mustard sliced in thin ribbons and added to salads. Most often I add it to a braising mix.  I saute an onion, wilt the greens and top with an interesting dressing or vinegar.  Yogurt herb is particularly nice.





Kohlrabi





Kohlrabi tops are a great addition to braising mixes or can be used in any kale recipe.  We grow both green and purple.

Cabbage









We had some cabbage plants and rutabaga plants overwinter as an experiment.  The grew back and have a mild cabbage flavor.  I really like adding them to soups and stews just before serving.





Claytonia


Claytonia is a mild green usually added to salads.  I also see it listed as a braising green in seed catalogs.  It loves cold weather and even when it blooms it remains mild and succulent


No comments:

Post a Comment