Saturday, July 16, 2011

Processing Strawberries

After the first berries called king berries, the size of the strawberries gets smaller, and as the weather gets hot or too humid, the quality of the berries decline - more seeds, etc. That is when I sort out soft or small or seedy berries called utilities, and freeze them.





I have cored and frozen whole on a cookie sheet and then moved to a plastic bag. This is handy if I want just a handful of frozen berries to add to a smoothie.


I core, slice and add a bit of sweetener like sugar or honey so the berries make a bit of juice and freeze berries and juice in pint or quart zipper bags. I have found the teaspoon of sweetener preserves the berries and the lack of air prevents freezer burn so the berries keep their flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment