Sunday, July 3, 2011

Endive

Endive. This great green from Europe puzzles many people. What do I do with it? Like all the members of the chicory family such as escarole, witloof, and radicchio, endive has a green and zippy flavor. After a cool spring of mild flavored lettuces and greens, the heat of summer features more robust flavors.

I dress my greens based on their flavor. In early spring I use light vinaigrettes. Now I move into stronger dressing choices. I like blue cheese or goat cheese, or Parmesan or Asiago with homemade mayonnaise or yogurt or cream for summer salads. I use first the garlic scapes and later garlic. I like the combination of goat cheese and toasted walnuts or pecans.

And if summer greens seem too strong, you can always either salt them for about a half hour or braise or wilt them. Imagine a pasta salad with blanched endive and a Caesar style dressing with olives and / or sliced summer sausage. I have been braising greens in the skillet after I have sauteed an onion; once they wilt, I have been topping with some beet pickle juice. and topping with cooked beets. And we have had grilled endives and radicchio - very tasty!


No comments:

Post a Comment