Friday, December 24, 2010

Making Jam

What did I do on Christmas Eve? Why make jam, of course! We rarely have time mid harvest to make preserves. But in fall and early winter, as we fill the freezers with meat, the fruit that was picked on days when the berries were soft from too much rain, or a bit rubbery after frost come out of the freezer, are thawed, and become jam.
















I use two pans to get to heat early and reduce cooking time for better flavor.

I use organic sugar and organic lemons for lemon juice. Then as the fruit cooks, I wash and sterilize jars.














I follow the recipe from The Yellow Farmhouse Cookbook - minimum pectin so flavor is superior. And after some cooking, jarring up, a hot water bath - voila! Eight cups of fruit become six or seven jars of jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment