Monday, July 1, 2013

Summer Flowers

With July nearly here, there is a burst of beautiful flowers.


We still have a few irises - the Siberian iris blooms later than most.


The peonies have created quite a show. They always make think of my mother - some she sent me.  There is the traditional angel cheeks - nearly white, 


...and the bright pink


...and the single called Fancy Nancy - one of the ones from my mother.


Ken usually focuses on annual flowers, but he had poppies before we met.

I always hear the Wicked Witch of the West's voice (well Margaret Hamilton the actress who played her) saying poppies whenever I see them.


And of course I think of Georgia O'Keeffe, too.


Ken likes several old fashioned flowers - marigolds, snap dragons, and of course pinks...


...and Sweet Williams.

In addition to the color, beauty, and fragrance, the bees and butterflies are also attracted to all the flowers.  We work to encourage the pollinators.

No comments:

Post a Comment