Sunday, May 29, 2011

New Spinach Recipe



I was hosting book group this week, and decided to serve snacks "locally grown" from the garden. I made cornbread from our corn (see masa entry), and thought I should do something with spinach. So I googled spinach dip and spinach spread and made my own revisions!

Blanch spinach, place in cold water, drain, squeeze out water. Chop. Chop some sunchokes (recipes called for canned water chestnuts). Hard boil 2 - 4 eggs. Place the above in a food processor with sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice or vinegar, a little Tabasco or hot pepper, a tiny bit of honey (I used 1/2 teaspoon), salt and pepper. Puree. check and adjust to taste. Place in small bowl, chill and serve with cornbread, bread, or crackers. Members of the book group really liked it.

For dessert we had muskmelon sorbet and ginger cookies. In summer I take the melons too soft to sell, cube and freeze for smoothies or sorbet in spring before we have any of our own fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment