Monday, May 30, 2011

CSA Newsletter


Greetings from the Garden! This week's box has lettuce and salad greens, spinach, braising greens like mizuna and radicchio, parsnips, sunchokes, turnips, asparagus, garlic chives or green onions, and sorrel.

Field notes. Ken has been a bit under the weather - very unusual for him. He has been transplanting and planting greens and some of the hot weather crops. I cleared some space in the flower bed and he has been transplanting there as well. He raises annuals from seed and plants them in the front of the bed for full season flowering. I work on the perennial flowers and perennial weeds. We work for continual bloom in garden, flower bed and field for the beneficial insects and the bees. Ken acquired two more hives from the Polk County honey queen. She is selling some hives to pay for college. She has had bees since she was eight years old - very interesting young woman.

From the Kitchen. Spinach spread! I am not an adventurous cook, but I worked out a recipe for a spinach spread to serve to my book group members on Thursday.
I blanched a huge pile of spinach, chilled in cold water, drained, squeezed out moisture, chopped. Scrubbed and chopped some sunchokes. I used The food processor to combine the above with the following - homemade mayonnaise, sour cream, salt, pepper, dry crushed chipotle, pepper sauce, lemon juice, honey, and hard cooked eggs. It was a hit. We spread on cornbread, but bread, crackers or chips would all work.

Last Tuesday while I was rinsing greens, Ken made turnips in a cream sauce with chopped green onions or chives as a topping. I have been using the tops in morning soups. Separate greens from roots and each will store better. I also cube and freeze turnips for some zip in my winter soups and stews.




No comments:

Post a Comment