Thursday, July 17, 2014

Preserving Starts (for me, Ken already has a couple batches of Kim chi going)

By this time most years I am overwhelmed.  This year I just keep chipping away.  The strawberries are all but done and I have frozen the culled berries as I went along so I could make jam and wine.

Now the early raspberries have started ripening.  This is encouraging.  These early berries do not have all summer to grow, and so some years with drought or other weather challenges, the crop can make us wonder if they are worth their valuable real estate and perennial maintenance. 

I started making jam this afternoon, 

 made a second batch tonight and will continue to make jam and start making wine.  The goal is to make room in the freezers and use up the culls that are still plenty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment