Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Soup Stock

Well, the soup stocks for pork and venison are done. Ken boils down the bones and after I pick the meat, we return the bones to the pot until the bones are soft so the marrow and cartilage are part of the stock. Then we strain and cool to let the fat rise so we can skim it off and add it to the pet food.




Then I pressure can the stock. I don't pressure can anything else, but we have more than gotten return on our investment.




















Because stock is a low acid food, it should be canned under pressure.














This year I found some reusable canning lids that are listed as having no BPA. I tried a couple in the pressure canner to make sure they did not melt, and they worked so I will be using them on all the jars we intend to keep.


We use soup stock winter and summer. It is great to have it ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment