Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Harvest Newsletter

Greetings from the Garden!  This week's CSA box has potatoes, winter tomatoes, onions, garlic, parsnips, carrots, radishes, squash, and greens!


Field Notes.  Neither Ken nor I can remember a fall so warm.  Ken just kept working outside.  Many tasks that usually have to wait until spring are done!  Ken got the compost out to the field and into the medium tunnel, for example.  

 He has been cleaning and clearing sheds, so he can take down the old garden shed , knock down some trees, and build a new and improved garden shed.


Unlike Ken I moved indoors and got bookkeeping caught up and seed inventory and orders done.  

I used to do this in January, but many varieties of organic seeds are sold out by January.  The new seeds are arriving and will get sorted so they will be ready to plant - starting in January with onions and celery.


Ken is planting as I type - he keeps planting for the winter salad mixes.








Underside of the red mustard leaf
From the Kitchen.  With the long nights, the greens are growing more slowly, but the weather has been warm enough for a good selection for this time of year.  The red mustard, tatsoi, and arugula are doing well.  I add them to sprouts for salad.  I tend to cut the large red mustard leaves into ribbons - they not only look nice but it also evens out the zippiness.  Ken preserved some lemons in salt and I have been adding them to salad dressings for the sour and the salt. 


I made a creamy dressing with feta cheese for a spinach tatsoi salad combo a few weeks back and this week I did a classic French (not sweet) dressing with the minced preserved lemon, minced garlic, lots of paprika, pepper and olive oil.  It was nice on raw or cooked greens.

With cooler weather I am using the oven for roasts and baked and roasted vegetables.  Delicious!

Best wishes for the Holiday season from all of us here at Keppers!  Next box in January on the 13th.

No comments:

Post a Comment